Carrum Downs Secondary College has a great working relationship with our local feeder Primary Schools. Our feeder primary schools are Banyan Fields Primary School, Rowellyn Park Primary School and Skye Primary. Our Transition Program is well planned in partnership with primary school Transition Coordinators to prepare Grade 6 students for their smooth movement into Year 7. We conduct:
- School visits with student presentations to answer questions
- Family meeting to support ease student and family anxiety around moving to a new school.
- Workshops with Grade 6 students specifically planned in conjunction with the primary schools according to curriculum and needs,
- An Orientation Day program on the second Tuesday of December of each year
- Tours for primary teachers and Principals at the beginning of each year to visit Year 7 classrooms and see how their past students are settling in to life at secondary school,
- Information Evenings to support both parent and child into the life of the secondary parent,
- An additional transition program runs for students with special needs or students that are identified by teachers and parents needing additional support in the transition process.
On Tuesday 6th of December, CDSC will hosts an Orientation Day for all Year 6 students enrolled at the College. This day helps students to learn more about the way the College runs and to relax anyone who may be feeling a little unsure of what might be up ahead.
We realise how important it is for our Year 7s to feel that they belong and that they feel safe and successful at school. To further support them we have a Year 7 Camp, a Pastoral Care program and Peer Support Program where they get an older student as a buddy and soon learn that the bigger kids are surprisingly friendly!
There is many staff that assist our new Year 7 students and help them to settle into their new environment. In particular the House system leaders and the pastoral care teachers who are the first point of contact when questions arise.