Enrolment + Tours
GRADE 6 – 7 TRANSITION
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN CARRUM DOWNS SECONDARY COLLEGE
The next step in your child’s education is an exciting one, but can be a challenging one. CDSC is here to support you and your child with this journey.
Carrum Downs Secondary College is a community-focused Secondary School, evidenced by our relationships with our local feeder primary schools:
- Banyan Fields Primary School
- Rowellyn Park Primary School
- Skye Primary School
- As well as other Non – Government Primary Schools in the area
Our partnership enables us to prepare grade 6 students for their transition into year 7 at CDSC.
We realise the importance of having our new Year 7 students feeling that they belong and that they feel safe and successful at school. To further support them we have a Year 7 Camp, Pastoral Care program and Peer Support Program once they begin,
Many staff assist our new Year 7 students and help them to settle into their new environment, in particular their Pastoral Care Teacher and House Leadership Team who are the first point of contact when questions arise for both students and parents.
YEAR 7 PARENT INFORMATION SESSION
The 2021 Year 7 Parent Information Session will be presented to you online via WebEx on Wednesday the 28th of October at 6:30pm.
To access the WebEx Event please use the following details:
Event Password: XyzpU3ZHS54
TARGETED APPROACH TO ENGLISH AND MATHEMATICS
At Carrum Downs Secondary College our vision to nurture the growth of every student, and one of the ways we do this is through our Targeted Approach to English and Mathematics.
This program, introduced at Year 7 in 2019 and expanding up the year levels since, delivers every student a learning program that is aimed at their point of need. As part of this program all students are placed in fluid groups based on the results of our ongoing assessment program. We understand that learning is a constantly evolving process, and the term fluid means that student groupings can change as they progress through the curriculum and their learning needs change.
Our teachers work collaboratively to monitor assessment data and plan their learning programs. This program allows us to extend and challenge students who are demonstrating an advanced understanding of the curriculum, whilst also allowing us to target extra resources for students with higher learning needs. These additional resources include extra teaching support and integration aides in the classroom teaching space to ensure every student is supported to grow and improve towards their learning goals.
We offer a broad range of core and specialty subjects as a gateway to secondary school. Please refer to the year 7 subject guide link for further information.
- Year 7 Subject Guide
- Transition Handbook
- Year 7 Camp Booklet
Public Transport Victoria Bus lines operate in the Carrum Downs area. Please use the Victorian public transport services PTV Journey Planner to plan your journey to and from CDSC.
For further Information on Student Travel Passes, please visit the Victorian Student Pass Page on the Public transport Victoria Website.
OUR SCHOOL ZONE
www.findmymyschool.vic.gov.au hosts the most up-to-date information about Victorian school zones. Information on this site is updated in Term 1 each year, ready for the Year 6 to 7 transition period. If you have any questions about school zones, please visit the website, call the VSBA Hotline on 1800 896 950 or email email@example.com.
Please apply in writing by completing the out of zone application form below for our consideration in accordance with the
Department of Education and Training (Victoria)
IMPORTANT DATES FOR YEAR 7
Please note that due to Covid-19, some dates are yet to be confirmed.
19th August 2020
Primary Schools notify parents/carers of placement in writing
20th August 2020
Carrum Downs Secondary College to send out enrolment information packs to all future year 7 Students
28th October 2020
Parent Information Night via WebEx
TBC November 2020
Grade 6 Transition Session for future year 7s
TBC November 2020
Additional Orientation session (invitation only)
TBC November 2020
Student Support Sessions (invitation only)
8th December 2020
Statewide Orientation Day
29th January 2021
1st Day of term
Early February 2021
Year 7 Meet and Greet
Year 7 Afternoon In
24th – 26th February 2021
Year 7 Camp
From Term 2 each year Primary Schools distribute a Transition pack to all parents/carers of Year 6 students which importantly includes the Application for Year 7 Placement Form.
The process is as follows for parents/carers:
- You return the Application for Year 7 Placement Form to your Primary School.
- CDSC receives and reviews your application from your Primary School for processing.
- Your Primary School notifies you of your offer of placement at CDSC.
- During August, CDSC will provide by mail a Welcome Pack to all accepted Year 7 2021 Students. This includes an enrolment form and general information regarding transition.
- You attend a Parent/Carer Information Session and students attend Orientation Events.
Transition processes for Non-Government Schools vary. Please contact CDSC for information.
We conduct many events across the year to engage with prospective year 7s and their families.
Meet the Principal Session
Grade 6 Discovery Sessions
Grade 5 Discovery Sessions
In addition to these events, the College conducts additional sessions to support confirmed 2021 year 7 enrolments.
- Additional Orientation Session – designed for students to learn more about the college if they are feeling unsure or if the student is coming from a non- government school. (session is invitation only)
- Student Support Sessions – designed for students with additional learning needs or students that are identified by teachers and/or parents as needing additional support in the transition process. Please note that these sessions are by invitation only.
- Grade 6 Transition Sessions – all confirmed 2021 Year 7 enrolments attend CDSC by Primary School group to gain an early experience of a day in the life at CDSC. During this day, students will complete accedemic testing which allows us to prepare for a smooth transition to classes in 2021.
YEAR 7 – 12
Carrum Downs Secondary College is the neighbourhood school for CARRUM DOWNS, SKYE AND SANDHURST. We support The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development’s decision to encourage students to enrol at, and attend their neighbourhood school.
Additionally, we wish to see that schools are given the opportunity to resolve any issues prior to students transferring between schools. To ensure a smooth transition and avoid disruption to a student’s education, transfer enquiries must occur at the end of the semester or school year.
- Completed Enrolment Application Form
- Copy of your child’s most recent semester school report
- Copy of your child’s passport/visa document/Citizenship for students born overseas
- Copy of current orders (e.g. family order, intervention order, protection order)
Prospective students and at least one parent/guardian must attend an enrolment interview at the College. All above documents must be returned prior to organising an enrolment interview.
If you wish to enquire about enrolling your child at Carrum Downs Secondary College, please contact the College.